What is Google’s Magic Eraser?
The Google Pixel 6 and 7 series boast a unique feature called Magic Eraser. This feature sets the device apart from other Android phones in the market. Magic Eraser is an exciting tool that uses machine learning and AI to eliminate unwanted objects, including people, from your photos. It simplifies the editing process that would otherwise require manual work in Photoshop. Here’s a comprehensive guide on how to use it and some of its fun applications.
What devices is Magic Eraser available on?
Magic Eraser is exclusively available on Pixel 6, Pixel 6 Pro, Pixel 6a, and Pixel 7 series phones. However, other Magic Eraser options may be worth exploring for non-Pixel users.
How to use Magic Eraser on a Google Pixel 6 or Pixel 7
If you own a Pixel 6 or Pixel 7, you can use Magic Eraser through the Google Photos app. Here are the simple steps to follow:
- Open the Google Photos app.
- Select the photo that has the object you want to remove.
- Tap on “Edit” from the bottom toolbar.
- Select “Magic Eraser” from the “Tools” section.
- Circle or brush over the object you want to remove. In some instances, Google identifies the subject it can remove automatically.
- If you are okay with the automatic selection, confirm your choice. If you want to blend the subject, switch to the Camouflage tab.
- Wait a few seconds while Google uses Magic Eraser to erase the subject from the photo.
- If you like the results, tap “Done.”
- Select “Save copy” to preserve the edited version of the photo. The copy does not retain the location data.
How well does Magic Eraser work in real life?
When used correctly, Magic Eraser works incredibly well. It can remove unwanted objects and people from photos seamlessly. However, some minor glitches may appear, such as half-spliced bodies and shadows. Despite these minor issues, Magic Eraser remains a useful feature that can help you create cleaner, more streamlined images.
Having fun with Magic Eraser
Magic Eraser is a great tool for creating funny, wacky pictures. It’s also a useful feature to remove embarrassing photobombs, unwanted graffiti, and other distractions from photos. Here are some fun examples of how you can use Magic Eraser:
- Remove fuel prices from gas station photos.
- Eliminate your kid’s photobomb from family pictures.
- Create a car with no wheels.
- Use it to remove the crowd from your Hollywood Walk of Fame photos.
- Erase the notch on your new MacBook Pro or Air in photos.
- Remove your friends and family members from photos as a prank or joke.
- Turn a group of friends into a romantic date.
- Clean up a mess without getting your hands dirty.
- Use it to make objects that have disappeared appear erased.
Magic Eraser works with non-Pixel photos
The best part about Magic Eraser is that it works not only with photos taken with Pixel 6 and 7 devices but also with imported images from other devices. Google frequently updates this tool to enhance its capabilities continually. If you’re done playing around with Magic Eraser, consider exploring other Android apps for photographers to make the most of your Pixel camera.