Calling on the Google Pixel Watch
The Google Pixel Watch and Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 and Watch 5 are the most popular Android smartwatches on the market, providing a range of health-focused features and call functionality. Follow these steps to call someone on your Pixel Watch:
- Press the Pixel Watch’s crown to access the app drawer.
- Open the Phone app.
- Select Recent or Favorites to call a recent contact or favorite.
- Choose the contact you want to call and tap the call icon beside their number.
- To call a number, select Dialpad from the Phone app and enter the desired number.
- Initiate the call by pressing the call button, and end it by tapping the red call end icon or mute the call.
- To answer an incoming call, accept it on your smartwatch.
Note that you can make calls through your Pixel Watch, even if it’s not an LTE model, as long as it’s close to your smartphone. However, the LTE model allows you to make and receive calls without being connected to your paired phone.
Calling on the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 or Watch 5
The process of making a phone call on the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 or Watch 5 is the same, regardless of whether the watch is paired with a Galaxy or non-Galaxy smartphone or if it’s an LTE or Bluetooth model:
- Swipe up on your Galaxy smartwatch’s watch face to access the app drawer.
- Open the Phone app and select the Contacts icon to call a phone book contact.
- Choose the contact and tap the call icon or Message if you prefer texting.
- To dial a number instead, select the dialer icon and enter it.
- Initiate the call by tapping the green button.
- Increase the watch’s speaker volume to full to improve audibility.
- You can switch between your phone and smartwatch during a call by tapping the three-dot button or selecting the Galaxy Watch speaker output source.
Keep in mind that non-LTE Galaxy Watch models require a connection to the paired phone to make calls. Also, while vibrating notifications for incoming VoIP calls from WhatsApp or Telegram are supported, you can’t use the smartwatch to make VoIP calls or accept incoming ones.
Calling on Your Smartwatch with Google Assistant
The easiest way to make calls on your Pixel Watch or Galaxy Watch is by using Google Assistant. Just say “Hey, Google” to activate the assistant and tell it to “Call <contact’s name>.” The watch should initiate the call after a few seconds. You can then converse on the smartwatch without using your phone.
Consider an LTE-capable smartwatch for Better Calling Efficiency
If you rely heavily on making or receiving calls on your smartwatch, consider investing in the Pixel Watch or Galaxy Watch with LTE connectivity. This way, you’ll be able to make and receive calls without needing your phone nearby. Also, check out our collection of the best Wear OS tips and tricks to get more out of your Pixel Watch, Galaxy Watch 4, or Watch 5.